Saturday, June 7, 2014

Tres Pelicanos, our Dive Op

Where do I begin, where do I begin. I have nothing but amazing things to say about this Dive Op. Tres Pelicanos is truly an amazing, kind, patient family feeling Dive Op. I cannot wait to dive with them again!!

(Servando and Chan Fran probably discussing where to go today)

Being freshly certified, I was a bit hesitant and anxious about diving in general. I signed up for a refresher course with Servando, and that all disappeared in a flash. There are probably not enough nice adjectives to describe what kind of a person Servando is. He is so friendly, so sweet, so patient (really patient), so understanding and outgoing, down-to-earth, and clearly, enjoys his job and has a great passion for diving. You can just see it in him, the moment I met him, I knew he was a great DM. They don't call him the Maestro for nothing!! During the whole week of diving with him, we passed many boats and they always shouted out "Maestro"...a neat nickname!
 
   (Servando the Maestro)


 My first diving experiences were not very good (in SoCal) so I had a bitter taste in my mouth about diving. Even wondering if it's really for me. That all vanished when I hit the waters of Cozumel. Warm, crystal clear, abundant with life. It was astonishing. This is what diving should be like. This is why people are hooked. Servando was my personal DM on our first boat dive, and he was phenomenal. He showed us all the nooks and crannies and where to find all this sea life. He even took me down to about 110 ft, which I didn't notice until later. I was really surprised and exhilarated! Before Cozumel, I didn't go any where beyond 30ft!! He later said he took me that deep to overcome fear and anxiety, that 110 ft is just the same as 50 ft. No difference in the water. We spotted a barracuda, sea horses, turtles and many different fish. It was just mind-blowing how wonderful and life-changing this experience was.

We dove the whole week with Servando and the very last day with Jorge. Did I mention the Tres Pelicanos staff is a good majority of the reason why this Dive Op is so popular and amazing?! Chan Fran, oh my goodness. Heart of gold. This man will smile at you and radiate your whole day. An amazing captain navigating the choppy waters. He's so great, I cannot even begin to describe. He always took my BCD from the water before I climbed up the ladder to get into the boat, he always knew to find us after The Man and I surfaced, he always assembled my gear swiftly and promptly, and most of all, he was also laughing and smiling, even on the rainiest days. You cannot ask for better customer service than that. 

(Chan Fran on Skinny Shark, replenishing tanks for the next dive)

In fact, the whole staff is like that. From Servando to Chan Fran to Willie and Pony, they are all great. The last day, we got to dive with Jorge for a change, and though his style is alittle different than Servando's, he's a sweetheart just as much. He'll always check on you with his little rattle thing in the water, always made sure that I had enough air for my safety stop and made sure I was okay. Our last dive was at the Santa Rosa Wall with Jorge, and I must say, that was the best dive out of all the dives we did that week. It was so calm and quiet (the drift), and there was so much to see. It was probably also me finally feeling comfortable enough to dive confidently, but gosh, it was gorgeous.

(Jorge with the weights)

The DMs really know where to take you and what to see. They have been navigating these waters for a really long time and know exactly where the good stuff is. They work with all levels, both beginners (like myself) to seasoned divers and everyone in between. I really could not rave about Tres Pelicanos any more. The Man had a great time diving with them too. He also did a night dive with Servando, which he states was the best dive so far. Way different than a day time dive, much more marine life. The Man was so thrilled about all these dives that he is already thinking of getting Advanced OW certification!

Epiphany: I cannot wait to dive again in Cozumel and dive again with Tres Pelicanos. It's amazing to hear stories of fellow divers on the boat, who have followed Servando around as he changed Dive Ops over the years. It makes sense. I would do the same!

Bubbles,
The Lady

   (The Lady, photo credit The Man)


No comments:

Post a Comment